What is a Prefect?
- A prefect in Post 16 is a student in a position of responsibility who acts as a role model for the younger members of the College. Therefore they must uphold the HIGHEST standards at all times – Including uniform, adherence to school rules, effort, attendance, punctuality, attitude, respect, manners, motivation to work etc.
- Help to maintain standards.
- Working with and guiding the younger students in the school.
- Show leadership.
What will I do as a Prefect?
As a prefect you will be allocated different duties:
- Break and lunch duty.
- Bus prefect.
- Anti Bullying prefects (work alongside Mrs Robb).
- Charity work.
- Asked to take part in different events in school e.g. open evening guides, visit local Primary Schools.
What is a Mentor?
- Someone who works with the Year 8 and Year 9 students.
- Attends their registration once a week to help them and the tutor.
- Carries out specific duties e.g. Organising Rock Stars, Spelling tests, paired and small group reading.
- Helps the Year 8s settle into the College. Be a guide/advisor/friend.
- A role model.
- Shows leadership skills, can work with young people, is organised.
- Good academic performance.
Why become a Prefect or a Mentor?
- Develop your leadership skills.
- Develop your people skills.
- Excellent for your CV.
- Gain valuable experience you can talk about at University or job interviews.
- Ideal for students who want to peruse a career working with young people e.g. childcare, teaching, social work.
- Good for part time job applications.
- You will be given training for the role.
- Get a badge!
Complete the application form demonstrating the following:
- Why you want the role? Why should I pick you?
- What skills and qualities you can bring to the role?
- Any experience you have.
- Your attendance %
- Must be Word processed (font size 12).
An Application form can be found at: www.hazelwoodcollege.co.uk/Curriculum / Post 16/ Prefect/Mentors
Successful applicants will be notified by letter specifying role.
Further information can be obtained from Mrs Maynes in M26
Deadline: FRIDAY 14 SEPTEMBER 2018